Since the launch of the Programme ”Building a Europe for and with children” in 2006, the Council of Europe has promoted and supported the implementation of the rights of the child across Europe under a number of Strategy cycles. This report, presented to the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe in October 2022, illustrates the implementation of the 3rd Strategy for the Rights of the Child (2016-2021). It builds on information coming from a variety of sources: information that was provided by member States through a survey and by different Council of Europe bodies via the Inter-Secretariat Task Force on the Rights of the Child, or that was researched amongst the most recent case of the European Court of Human Rights or the findings of a range of Council of Europe monitoring bodies.
Covering all five priority areas of the 3rd Strategy - equal opportunities, participation, a life free from violence, childfriendly justice and children’s rights in the digital environment – the report points to achievements, innovative solutions and remaining gaps in law and policies that may also serve as sources of inspiration for upcoming national and European action.
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY INTRODUCTION DELIVERING THE STRATEGY THROUGH EUROPEAN AND NATIONAL ACTION AND PARTNERSHIPS: CALLING IT A SUCCESS?
1. Overall progress made under the Strategy 7
2. Partnerships as essential preconditions of Strategy implementation
FINAL REVIEW OF PROGRESS MADE UNDER THE FIVE PRIORITY AREAS OF THE STRATEGY (2016-2021): A WEALTH OF ACTIVITIES PUTTING THE CHILD AT THE CENTRE
1. Priority Area 1: Equal opportunities for all children
2. Priority Area 2: Participation of all children
3. Priority Area 3: A life free from violence for all children
4. Priority Area 4: Child-friendly justice for all children
5. Priority Area 5: The rights of the child in the digital environment
6. Focus on the case-law of the European Court of Human Rights (2020-2021)
LESSONS LEARNT AND OUTLOOK BEYOND 2021: WHAT COMES NEXT?
1. Lessons learnt: conclusions from the implementation period 2016-2021
2. Global impact: Contributing to UNSDG Agenda 2030
3. The way forward: from action to be pursued to innovative action