PDF - Bioethical Issues - Educational Fact Sheets (2013)
Train your pupils in a participatory approach, which is fundamental to education for citizenship, by organising an informed, multidisciplinary debate on bioethical issues.
This teaching aid is designed in particular for fourth form to upper sixth form teachers of biology, philosophy and civic education.
It has been reviewed by teachers of different subjects and tested in the classroom, and is designed:
1. To make young people aware of bioethical issues and encourage an open debate on the subject;
2. To foster independent thinking;
3. To promote a participatory approach to debates on social issues (education for citizenship) through the analysis of concrete cases;
4. To open up the European dimension of the debate;
5. To clarify key scientific and medical concepts by means of examples taken from everyday life.
Five initial themes are addressed in this publication:
- organ donation;
- medically assisted procreation;
- genetic testing;
- biomedical research on human beings;